January 27, 2008

Regarding H-1b visa


Buro Happold 内定です。


For International students to work in U.S. we have to take the following steps.

CPT_OPT_H-1b_Green Card



CPT is the permission to work during semesters before graduation. OPT is for one year after graduation. H-1b can be applied with Bachelor degree whose deadline is 4/1 every year, which I cannot make this year, because my graduation date is 4/18/2008. Many people uses OPT as a bridge to fill the gap between graduation and H-1b. H-1b is only effective while working for a certain company. So if I want to work as a freelance, I apply for Green Card.

The problem is I cannot use OPT to fill the gap while I'm waiting for H-1b. If I start OPT in 5/01/2008, it it will expire in 4/30/2009. Even if I apply for H-1b in 4/1/2009, which requires high competition, is going to take effect in 10/1/2009. There is a good five month gap between 5/01/2008 to 9/30/2008. I 'll lose the permission to work in U.S. nor even just staying without working.

But at this point, I've run out of stuff to do to fight for it, so let's see what happens. Maybe going back to Japan to work, or going Europe to be trained in another Buro's office.



最近 H-1b 獲得のために奮闘していましたが締め切りの 4/1/2008 の時点ではまだ学位を頂いていないため、今年の応募は断念しました。問題は来年の夏に五ヶ月間まるまるアメリカの滞在許可が無くなることであって、卒業後一年間は OPT で働けるのでヒトマズ今は卒業設計に専念します。

高校の頃は、今日まで学生明日から社会人、という就職活動によって定められる明確な区切りがあるものだと漠然と思っていました。でも本当は学生時代から (関係のないバイトではなく) 少しずつ出来る仕事はこなして先につなげる準備をしないといけないですね。チャンスと見れば飛びついて、それが Jackpot (大穴) だったり。ガツガツしてたからこそ得られた経験によって、やることをやっておけばガツガツしていなくても自然にチャンスは来るって実感した。ロスに来られてよかった。

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

take me with you:)

yukie hirashima said...

anywhere you wish !!

Anonymous said...

oh my..oh my gawsh...could it be possible for me to love you anymore than i already do?i didn't think so.. but you just made my heart grow 10.5 more pounds for you right now from reading that...

mamamiakeroppi said...

hey Yuki,

this is Ian, didn't get a chance to talk with you after the lecture last wednesday. Anyway, a shortcut to a green card is to marry someone who has an american citizenship. You'll for sure get your temporary green card within 6 months after the marriage, according to my experience... i don't know if they changed the law or not. This temporary green card is only valid for 2 years i think. Then you'll have to extend it. After the extension then the green card will be valid for 10 years, and no longer depends on the marriage. Marriage is a big deal though, just FYI.

Anonymous said...

hey yuki,you know..i have an American citizenship...bow•chika•wow•wow

yukie hirashima said...

oh my love...
honeymoon for Japan! perfect plan!